Monday, January 9, 2012

Little place

When they were safely out of the city, one of the angels ordered, “Run for your lives! And don’t look back or stop anywhere in the valley! Escape to the mountains, or you will be swept away!” “Oh no, my lord!” Lot begged. “You have been so gracious to me and saved my life, and you have shown such great kindness. But I cannot go to the mountains. Disaster would catch up to me there, and I would soon die. See, there is a small village nearby. Please let me go there instead; don’t you see how small it is? Then my life will be saved.” “All right,” the angel said, “I will grant your request. I will not destroy the little village. But hurry! Escape to it, for I can do nothing until you arrive there.” (This explains why that village was known as Zoar, which means “little place.”) (Genesis 19:17-22 NLT)
As I read this today I had this thought, "How many times has God tried to call me to the mountains but I refused to go and settled for the little place?"

There are two reasons I can identify that Lot rejected the mountain:
1)Fear - "Disaster would catch up with me there and I would soon die."
Why does fear continue to be a trump card in our Christian walk? It's as if we look to God and say, "I know you think that's the best place for me but I'm not sure you've really thought this through." Remind yourself this, the creator of the universe is probably able to discern the best path for your life.
2) - Proximity to sin "See there is a small village nearby"
Are there things in your life that keep you connected to sins you struggle with? The scripture isn't clear on whether or not Lot was involved in the riotous lifestyle of Sodom. But to steal a line from the magic 8 ball "all signs point to yes." Understand, there is a spiritual draw within the power of sin. And you have to ask the question, if Sodom was so detestable to God thy had to be destroyed why did Lot want to live just outside of it?

But perhaps the scariest part of this story is the fact that when Lot asked not to go to the place God wanted to send him the angel allowed it to happen. So again I ask, How many times has God tried to call me to the mountains but I refused to go and settled for the little place?

No comments:

Post a Comment