Thursday, December 13, 2012

Remember the inside of the fish

Jonah 2:1 "Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God from inside the fish."


How many times have we been there?  We are stuck in a situation of peril of our own making.  We recognize God's grace but at the same time we are swimming in the guilt of our disobedience.  Shame is wrapped around our head like a piece of seaweed.  And the only thing we can think to do is pray to our God from inside of the fish.

So the question that begs to be asked is, "where's your fish?"  If we've all been there then we all have a fish.  But the fish looks different for each of us.  So where's your fish? Is it that moment right after that recurring sin has happened again in your life?  Is it that silence in the room after your angry voice has just bounced off the walls and through the hearts of those you love?  Is it when your eyes are blurred with the tears of apology? Is it that place at the altar where you meet Jesus when you mess up? Is it the loneliness of failure?  We all have a fish.  That place where repentance seems to be the only thing we know to do.  That place where God's grace seems so available and our prayers drip with sincerity.

Look at a portion of Jonah's prayer inside of the fish. "...I sank down to the very roots of the mountains. I was imprisoned in the earth, whose gates lock shut forever. But you, O LORD my God, snatched me from the jaws of death! As my life was slipping away, I remembered the LORD. And my earnest prayer went out to you in your holy Temple. Those who worship false gods turn their backs on all God's mercies. But I will offer sacrifices to you with songs of praise, and I will fulfill all my vows. For my salvation comes from the LORD alone." (Jonah 2:6-9)
Jonah is so aware of God's grace. 

Now look at Jonah's prayer outside of the fish.  "...Didn't I say before I left home that you would do this, LORD? That is why I ran away to Tarshish! I knew that you are a merciful and compassionate God, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love. You are eager to turn back from destroying people. Just kill me now, LORD! I'd rather be dead than alive if what I predicted will not happen." (Jonah 4:2-3) 

Jonah had just told the people of Nineveh they would be destroyed.  They repented and God relented.  The grace Jonah had so desperately sought inside of the fish he now despises outside of the fish. 

So my plea for you today.  Remember the inside of the fish.  It will keep you closer to God's grace and His heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment